Butte family escapes burning home thanks to smoke detector - KXLF.com | Continuous News | Butte, Montana

Butte family escapes burning home thanks to smoke detector

Posted: Updated:

BUTTE - An early morning fire destroyed most of a Butte  family’s possessions. But they count themselves lucky thanks to a smoke detector.

“We wouldn’t be alive, no chance. Lucky, very lucky, that thing saved our lives,” said Ryanne Davidson, who lives with her husband and two children in the Walnut Street trailer.

The fire started from a pot that was left on the stove about 12:30 in the morning Monday. The alarm woke Ryanne and she was able to wake her two young children and get most of their pets out before the whole residence was consumed.

“It was a very small window of escape time. We got to the road, which was probably only 3 minutes, the windows were exploding and there were flames coming out of everywhere,” Davidson said.

Ryanne said she was surprised how quickly the fire spread through her home and if it wasn’t for that alarm, it would have been a very tragic day.

“If it hadn’t been for that alarm, we wouldn’t have made it. Like I said, it was like 3 minutes and the whole place was gone,” she said.

Fire officials say this is an example of why people should always have working smoke detectors.

“It’s a good time to be thinking about those smoke alarms. We want to be checking them things, making sure the batteries are working. People don’t realize how fast those fires can move, how fast they can get hot and smoke in there, making it difficult to make your way even through your own home,” said Butte Assistant Fire Chief Brian Doherty.

The Davidson family certainly appreciate their smoke alarm was ready that morning. The American Red Cross set up the family in a local hotel for the evening and the family plans to later stay in Helena with relatives.

Powered by Frankly

© KXLF.com 2018, KXLF.com
All rights reserved
Privacy Policy, | Terms of Service, and Ad Choices

Can't find something?