Quantcast

Firefighters rescue dog from Butte house fire - KXLF.com | Continuous News | Butte, Montana

Firefighters rescue dog from Butte house fire

Posted: 12/04/2017 12:47:00 -07:00 Updated:

On Saturday, December 2, at 1:26 a.m., Butte-Silver Bow and Racetrack VFD firefighters, Butte-Silver Bow Law Enforcement, and A-1 were dispatched to a possible structure fire at the corner of Lafayette and George.

While en route, BSB Dispatch notified us that police officers were at the scene, confirmed smoke from the residence, that the structure appeared to be occupied, lights and TV were on in the main floor, and it was unknown if anyone was still inside.

When firefighters arrived, smoke was coming from the east/west gable ends of the attic and from the eaves around the house. Police advised that there was a dog on the first floor inside the front door.

Firefighter Zach Osborne and Captain Bryan Cetraro entered through the front door, which was closed but not locked. Osborne advanced the hose line through the living room and into the kitchen where he found evidence of active fire in the attic area above the kitchen.

Cetraro saw the dog on the floor; he picked up the dog and carried the dog outside to the front yard; he asked for help with the care of the dog; and he then went back inside. Cetraro realized the fire was in the attic and advised Osborne that he was going to exit and gain access to the attic through the east gable end window.

Race Track VFD arrived with approximately five firefighters.

The fire was extinguished and overhaul began in the kitchen and attic above the kitchen.

The occupants told firefighters that there were two lizards in an aquarium in the living room. Cetraro found the aquarium and Battalion Chief Jim Merrifield assisted in carrying the aquarium to the front yard. The occupant removed the lizards, and it was uncertain if they would survive.

In a Facebook post, the Butte-Silver Bow Fire Department said:

"A BIG SHOUT OUT goes to employees of Front Street Safeway 310. Due to their efforts a year ago, the Butte-Silver Bow Fire Department was the recipient of a grant that included (7) Pet Oxygen Mask Kits from the Emma Zen Foundation. Lifesaving measures were performed to save the family’s pet. The dog was taken to a veterinarian by family/friends of the occupant and appeared to be doing well."

Firefighters cleared the scene at 3:26 a.m.

The cause of the fire was a candle left burning in the kitchen. Fire Marshal Doherty would like everyone to use precaution when using candles:

  • 1) Never use lighted candles on a tree or near other evergreens;
  • 2) Keep a 12” circle of safety around all candles; and
  • 3) Place candles in non-tip candle holders where they cannot be knocked down or blown over.
WEATHER
Powered by Frankly

© KXLF.com 2018, KXLF.com
A CORDILLERA COMMUNICATIONS Station
All rights reserved
Privacy Policy, | Terms of Service, and Ad Choices

Can't find something?