Quantcast

Pages associated with white nationalist Richard Spencer removed - KXLF.com | Continuous News | Butte, Montana

Pages associated with white nationalist Richard Spencer removed from Facebook

Posted: Updated:

Two pages associated with white nationalist Richard Spencer have disappeared from Facebook.

The social media network told BuzzFeed News on Friday that pages had been suspended. 

The two pages belonged to Spencer's National Policy Institute and altright.com, both of which are listed in Spencer's Twitter bio. He did not respond to an email request for comment.

The pages' disappearance was first reported by Vice News.

In Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg's testimony before Congress earlier this week, he said the social media network has no place for hate groups.

"We do not allow hate groups on Facebook, overall," Zuckerberg said. "So if there's a group that their primary purpose, or a large part of what they do, is spreading hate, we will ban them from the platform overall."

He also said Facebook had not done enough to ban hate speech. 

"It is clear now that we didn't do enough to prevent these tools from being used for harm as well," he said in his opening statement. "That goes for fake news, for foreign interference and hate speech."

BuzzFeed News reported that his Instagram page had been removed as well. A search for his Instagram page showed no results Saturday.   

Spencer's Twitter profile was still active, which has over 80,000 followers, although he was suspended in 2016. He later returned but without his verification. On Thursday, he posted on Twitter a podcast episode called "Is This the End of Faceberg?" 

One of the most high-profile members of the alt-right, Spencer even credits himself with coining the phrase "alt-right" to describe the movement. He participated in the "Unite the Right" rally in Charlottesville in Aug. 2017 that left a counter-protester dead.

In the months following, his impending arrival on college campuses for speaking engagements led to protests and cancellations. In Florida, Gov. Rick Scott declared a state of emergency in advance of a planned speech at the University of Florida. Armed guards watched over the speech while protesters shouted "Go home Spencer, go home," "Say it loud, say it clear, Nazis are not welcome here" and "Go home Nazi's go home."

© 2018 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.

WEATHER
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Father/son duo accused of selling heroin to parents of toddler

    Father/son duo accused of selling heroin to parents of toddler

    Tuesday, July 17 2018 10:25 PM EDT2018-07-18 02:25:45 GMT

    A father and son arrested in Bozeman are charged with dealing drugs to a couple with a two-and-a-half-year-old child. The state allegations and court documents outline that the child was likely home at the time of the drug transactions and usage.

    A father and son arrested in Bozeman are charged with dealing drugs to a couple with a two-and-a-half-year-old child. The state allegations and court documents outline that the child was likely home at the time of the drug transactions and usage.

  • MGM sues Las Vegas shooting victims and survivors, claiming no liability

    MGM sues Las Vegas shooting victims and survivors, claiming no liability

    Tuesday, July 17 2018 6:20 PM EDT2018-07-17 22:20:12 GMT
    Surveillance video shows the Mandalay Bay resort in Las Vegas on Oct. 1, 2017, the night of a deadly mass shooting on a country music festival below the resort. / COURTESY LAS VEGAS METROPOLITAN POLICESurveillance video shows the Mandalay Bay resort in Las Vegas on Oct. 1, 2017, the night of a deadly mass shooting on a country music festival below the resort. / COURTESY LAS VEGAS METROPOLITAN POLICE
    Surveillance video shows the Mandalay Bay resort in Las Vegas on Oct. 1, 2017, the night of a deadly mass shooting on a country music festival below the resort. / COURTESY LAS VEGAS METROPOLITAN POLICESurveillance video shows the Mandalay Bay resort in Las Vegas on Oct. 1, 2017, the night of a deadly mass shooting on a country music festival below the resort. / COURTESY LAS VEGAS METROPOLITAN POLICE

    MGM Resorts International is suing more than 1,000 victims and other survivors of last year's mass shooting in Las Vegas, claiming it has no liability for the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history. 

    MGM Resorts International is suing more than 1,000 victims and other survivors of last year's mass shooting in Las Vegas, claiming it has no liability for the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history. 

  • Prosecutors charge woman after death of baby blamed on drugs in her breast milk

    Prosecutors charge woman after death of baby blamed on drugs in her breast milk

    Tuesday, July 17 2018 1:00 AM EDT2018-07-17 05:00:18 GMT
    Samantha Jones / CBS PHILLYSamantha Jones / CBS PHILLY
    Samantha Jones / CBS PHILLYSamantha Jones / CBS PHILLY

    Prosecutors have charged a woman with criminal homicide in connection with the death of her 11-week-old son, who they say died because of drugs he consumed through his mother's breast milk.

    Prosecutors have charged a woman with criminal homicide in connection with the death of her 11-week-old son, who they say died because of drugs he consumed through his mother's breast milk.

Powered by Frankly

© KXLF.com 2018, KXLF.com
A CORDILLERA COMMUNICATIONS Station
All rights reserved
Privacy Policy, | Terms of Service, and Ad Choices

Can't find something?