Strong cold front will push through the state this afternoon and evening. Rain quickly changes to snow along the I-15 corridor and snow covered and slushy at pass level.
Strong surface winds out of the south forced temperatures to jump into the mid 60s for Bozeman but behind the front in Butte mid-day temperatures were near freezing.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- Rapid change with strong cold front to hit Bozeman this afternoon
- Rain/Snow mix is possible for lower valleys but could change to all snow overnight
- Mountain passes could see moderate to heavy snow this afternoon with reduced visibility and gusty winds
- Tuesday morning could be icy at pass level
- Temperatures will drop off quickly behind the cold front
- Peak wind gusts ahead of this front have peaked around 65 mph in Mcallister in Madison County
- Lightning and thunder is possible
Above is a couple of MDT shots at 1 pm of moderate to heavy snow impacts Homestake and MacDonald passes.