The UMPD reported a bear sighting on campus by the "M" Trail parking lot on Monday at 6:30 P.M.
The officer monitored the beat and lost sight of it around 7:00 P.M. around the Curry Health Center but it did not appear to be aggressive.
The FWP is currently involved in relocating the bear.
UMPD wants to encourage everyone in the area to be "Bear Aware." If you do encounter a bear some safety tips include:
- Bears that are agitated can appear to be initially non-threatening and passive.
- Bears that are agitated may snap or pop their jaws and make a woofing sound.
- Do not run. This may incite a predatory chase response.
- Continue to face the bear and back away slowly, talking calmly to identify yourself as a human.
- If the bear continues to approach, try to scare it away by making yourself as large and imposing as possible by stretching your arms overhead and making loud noises.
If you encounter a bear in your area you're asked to call (406)243-4000.
You can find more educational information about bears and bear encounters by visiting the US Forest Service “Be Bear Aware” webpage.