Two students from Billings West High School were taken to a hospital and a third was sent home with a guardian on Wednesday, November 2, 2022, after the students reportedly ingested too much of a substance known as "dab."
Billings police Lt. Matt Lennick said in a news release that school resource officers responded at about 8:21 a.m. to a report of several 14-year-old male students overdosing after ingesting a "substance."
Khloe Schmidt, a freshman, was in her first period class when a "soft" lockdown was announced: “Our teacher told us that one of the kids had overdosed in her room.”
Two of the students were taken to a hospital by ambulance; the names and current conditions of the students have not been released.
The initial investigation shows the students ingested what is known as dab, which Lennick described as "a concentrated form of cannabis with a high level of THC."
Police say there is no indication the dabs were laced with any other type of drug, such as fentanyl, and that none of the teens ingested any other dangerous substance.
"At this time there is no indication that any other type of drugs were used or present during the incident," Lennick said.
Schmidt was surprised to hear about the situation: "It's odd to hear that someone was overdosing on weed, I'm like...what? That doesn't really seem normal."
Greg Upham, the Billings Public Schools superintendent, told MTN News that there were a total of five students under the influence.
Upham also noted that parents should talk with their children: “You need to understand what this level of THC, and what the legalization of marijuana is all about for our kids.”
The police department and the school district are working together to investigate the situation.
- Teen killed in suspected DUI crash
- MT Millionaire tix going FAST
- Who (and why) killed three cows?
- 'Suspicious' death in Great Falls
- DESTROYED: Sinclair dinosaur
- Buy Powerball tickets online?