BUTTE – Our latest blast of winter weather has NorthWestern Energy offering up some winter safety advice.
The utility is looking to remind customers to make sure natural gas meters, as well as furnace and appliance vents, are free from snow and ice.
Blocked vents could result in a loss of heat or buildup of deadly carbon monoxide in homes and other structures, the utility warns.
People are also being encouraged customers to clear snow away gently from natural gas meters to help prevent natural gas regulators from freezing over, which would interrupt the normal flow of natural gas into a home or building.
Utility spokeswoman Jo Dee Black notes in an email to MTN News that their call center has received a number of calls from customers in Hamilton reporting no heat and that the issue turned out to be outside furnace vents and gas meters that need to be cleared of snow.
Anyone with questions or concerns should contact the NorthWestern Energy Montana Customer Service line, 888-467-2669.