Augusta canceled their annual Augusta American Legion Rodeo set for this weekend (June 27-28). However, they still have plenty of other activities scheduled.
Augusta is set for a weekend of activities including Kids and Ranch Rodeo, a baseball tournament with Bar-B-Que, fun runs, and more. One Augusta business owner says the weekend is important because the town’s local economy depends on it.
"And our town, like many communities in Montana, really depend on tourism. We are seeing a lot of people really wanting to come and explore and experience those things and still enjoy the summer while being safe. Luckily, we are in a place where you can do both," says Tia Troy, an Augusta Business Owner.
All the events are placed outside to maintain social distancing guidelines.
The Augusta Chamber of Commerce and one business owner did confirm with MTN that the events such as the rodeo activities and the run were approved by county health officials.
Local businesses sponsored events throughout the weekend. The President of the Augusta Chamber of Commerce is also co-owner at Buckhorn Bar. The business is preparing for incoming traffic this weekend by encouraging take out to limit the amount of people in the bar.
"We also do have room inside to eat, but we also have a great outdoor area where you can eat. We are also going to do a very limited menu, just so it's faster, easier, and makes everybody a little bit happier," says Tammy Dellwo, the President of the Augusta Chamber of Commerce and co-owner at Buckhorn Bar.
In the end, making everyone happy is the goal for the weekend.
"We are a close-knit community, we always have been. We work together, we help each other out. For people to come in, we just love it and we are looking forward to it," says Dellwo.
Below are the full schedule events in Augusta June 27-28th, 2020 according to the Augusta Chamber of Commerce Facebook page. More information can be found on thir Facebook page.
SATURDAY, JUNE 27
- 7:30 AM.: Wapiti Run 2020 (10k, 5k, 1 mile fun run)
- 9 AM: Rod Run (drive your cars from Augusta to Brady, Power, Fairfield and back to Augusta - sign up at the Western Bar)
- NOON: Baseball & BBQ (ages 4 - 12; home run derby, baseball games)
- 2 PM: Art show with Montana artist and Augusta native Cody Witham at Latigo & Lace. Cody will have new artwork on display, as well as posters from this year's rodeo and past rodeos.
- OUTDOOR street dances/music in the evening at local watering holes.
SUNDAY, JUNE 28
- 9 AM: Kids Rodeo
- 1 PM: Ranch Rodeo (no bronc riding or wild cow milking)
- No charge at the gate for kids or ranch rodeos. Teams in the ranch rodeo will pay $400 per team, with the chance to win some money.
- **The rodeo event is organized by Bruce and Nancy Fuller. **